Royalty Tours USA

Monday, January 3, 2011

Royalty took the long way home from "Sweet Home Chicago"!‏

After spending the Sunday after Christmas in Chicago watching the Bears and the Blackhawks play with great company, the real adventure was about to start.

Thanks to mother nature, my flight on Southwest Airlines that Monday from Chicago to New York was cancelled. When I tried to rebook the flight they told me the next available flight was on Friday.

They said I could get a refund since the weather caused the flight to be cancelled.

Before I decided to take the refund, I looked into my other options.

First I called to inquire about renting a car so I could drive myself home. After getting ridiculous quotes, I decided to contact an old friend, Greyhound that is. As they say, "You can leave the driving to us."

In the early days of Royalty, that's the way the King and I got places.

In the late 1980's, the King and I took many bus rides to the Midwest to see our sporting events.

For the first time in a long time, I got to relive the memories as I decided that taking Greyhound made the most sense for me to get home in a timely and cost effective fashion.

I called Greyhound and I found out that the bus was leaving Chicago 4PM Central time on Monday. It would arrive in New York Port Authority Bus Terminal at 10:25AM Tuesday morning.

It wound up costing me a few dollars less than Southwest Airlines so I decided that was the way to go.

I proceeded to call Southwest and they gave me a credit on my credit card.

I checked out of the Travelodge and walked over to the Greyhound Bus station which was less than a mile away.

I charged up a one way fare so I could get home ASAP.

In the end, it worked out well. I got to make a stop in Cleveland where we connected before continuing to NYC. We also stopped in Newark, NJ too which thanks to the horrible weather in the area and the slow traffic we wound up arriving at the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 11:07AM.

Upon arrival, I walked downstairs to the subway and I took the E train back to Queens where I picked up the Q46 bus which took me within 3 blocks of my house.

After walking down the streets that weren't plowed yet, I finally got outside my house at 12:40PM.

Unfortunately I needed to shovel my way into the house since the snow was so deep. We did get 20 inches.

I decided to knock on a neighbor's door and they took my bags and put them inside their house for me.

In addition, they let me borrow a shovel and off to work I went.

It took me two hours to finally clear the snow. I got into the house at 2:40PM.

What a long strange trip it was.

But wait it wasn't over yet. I still had to get my car home which was parked on the street by LaGuardia Airport.

Last night I finally got to go there and lucky for me the snow was melted so all I had to do was get in and drive it home.

Mission accomplished!

Another successful road trip was in the books.

This is just another example of how royalty finds ways to make things happen.

When life throws you for a loop, you need to be prepared to react accordingly.

In this case, I did my best to solve the problem.

Stay tuned as the rest of the royalty week of 12/27 in review awaits.

When I get a chance I'll go into all the details.

2010 ended on a high and 2011 is off to a surprising start.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: