Royalty Tours USA

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nightmare when you go to the Prudential Center

When I attend a live sporting event these days, it's usually a fun experience.

Since I live the New York Metropolitan area, I have many places to choose from to see a live sporting event.

Some of these places are better than others. In my personal opinion, I love going to Madison Square Garden and New Yankee Stadium as opposed to going to Citi Field and the Prudential Center.

When I go to MSG and New Yankee Stadium, I feel welcome the moment I step foot on the property. In particular at New Yankee Stadium where they have people outside with signs up saying "How may I help you?". That's instant customer service for those who need it.

Those venues are notorious for attracting tourists from other parts of the world and our country. As for us New Yorkers, we usually know where we're going but it's nice to know someone is there if and when we need their assistance.

On the other hand, Citi Field isn't quite as fan friendly. It's not terrible but I don't care for it their phony way of treating people.

Furthermore, the Prudential Center which is located in Newark, NJ is known as the "arm pit of America" according to a co-worker of mine.

Newark in my opinion is a war zone area. Over the years, it has been classified as one of the high crime cities in the country.

With that being said, it made all the sense in the world to build a brand new arena there.

When you go there they tend to go overboard with their policies of operation.

From the moment you step foot on the property until you leave, you feel unwanted and bothered by the brain dead robots they hired there to enhance your experience.

It starts with the security force upon entry into the building. Since 9/11, we all know that things have changed forever especially here in the NYC area but they don't have to use and abuse their paying patrons to the extent that they do in Newark. They should know when to draw the line.

I believe the perception of the surrounding area has a lot to do with it.

Unfortunately they employ people who have no common sense so it just makes the situation worse.

As for security there, I try my best to deal with it. Most nights are okay but occasionally I've been harassed too.

For example, they'll ask me what's in this pocket and what's in that pocket. It's annoying and frustrating to deal with when all I want to do is come in from the cold and go up to my seat and relax and watch the game I came to see. They wand you then they bother you further. I think that's taking it a bit too far.

Their response when you have something to say is we're doing it for your safety. If something is going to happen, it's going to happen anyway. They're just making look like they care about our safety.

Many people believe that, I don't necessarily. In that case, to each is own.

Once I get by security, the next obstacle is to go to my seat.

Well the night the Nets played the Rockets I went up to the upper deck to get ready to watch the game. I was running late since they were announcing the starting lineups so I hastily went up find a seat to sit in so I could score the game.

Upon trying to do so, I had to run into the only usher in the upper deck where I was planning to sit. Mind you, the seating area was deserted. You should have been able to sit where ever you wanted to. That's being logical in my way of thinking. If I had gone up a different section nothing would have happened.

That's great guest services as they call it there. I went to school and they always teach you to treat people right so they'll want to come back again and again. Here they do whenever it takes to chase you away.

I was already in a bad mood since I had to rush to get ready for the game to start. With that being said, I lost my composure and cool so I exploded instead. I stupidly refused to show this dumb lady my ticket upon request. She decided to come upstairs and ask again and I still said no since I wanted to watch the game that I came to see.

Shortly thereafter, she got a supervisor after me and I wound up being thrown out of the building.

Since I have season tickets for the Nets and the Devils, I need to write a letter now to ask for reinstatement.
Once I do so, I expect to be allowed back into the Prudential Center.

I've been told by friends not to do that but the bottom line it was my fault for acting the way I did. I had already renewed my tickets for next season and I don't like to burn bridges so I plan to take my medicine and return in the future.

As for everybody else, you make the call to go there or not.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

1 comment:

Sean said...

Gary,

Sorry to hear about your troubles in the Guardin' State. If the Devils and Nets were halfway decent, you could sell your tickets at a small profit, but both teams are crap, so you are stuck. Apologize and get on with watching sports, this incident is trivial in the big picture for Royalty Tours.

Sean