Royalty Tours USA

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Royalty w/o 4/11 in review

Another week of baseball is in the books. Here's how it played for royalty.

Monday night after work I took the 7 train to Citi Field. If I remember correctly it was a smooth ride. Once I got into Citi Field all of a sudden things got rather "rockie". The Colorado Rockies were making their only visit to Queens this year. They do return to New York late in June for a weekend series in the Bronx with the Yankees. Furthermore, they play there on Oldtimer's Day too. That could be a World Series preview. Like the lottery, hey you never know.

One thing I do know is the Rockies are a good solid young team that's on the rise. You'll see what I mean as the week wore on.

As for the game I saw, the Rockies wound up scoring three runs in the eighth inning as their young superstar shortstop Troy Tulowitzki aka "Tulo" delivered a big two run homer which broke the game open as the Rockies held off the Mets, 7-6 in game one.

Tuesday night I went back to Citi Field for more punishment even though the Yankees were also home against the Orioles. Well mother nature had to get involved and she washed out both games so I got to go home earlier than expected.

Wednesday I repeated the process by opting for the Mets again over the Yankees. The Mets didn't learn their lesson from Monday night as they didn't walk "Tulo" in the fifth inning ahead 3-1 at the time. No walk, no problem. "Tulo" hit a three run home run instead to give the Rockies the lead for good. They went on to win this time, 5-4 in game two.

It should be noted the King and I got a special visit from a fellow baseball fan who we see every so often. His name is Eddie Masone. It was great to see him again. We spoke and enjoyed each other's company. Eddie is notorious for telling us that "we know how to live". He always calls the King and I "livers". Needless to say, he's very impressive with our lifestyle. He's had the luxury enjoying the life of royalty with us in the past. He knows he's always welcome to come with us on a future road trip.

Thursday luckily for me I had to work. Since the Rockies were making their only visit they had to make up the game that was rained out on Tuesday night so they played a rare straight single admission doubleheader. The originally scheduled game was for 1:10PM but they moved it up to 12:10PM so the Rockies could have more time to get out of town afterwards.

After work I went to Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees play the Baltimore Orioles. The King and some other people we know wound up seeing all three games.

I would have loved to have gone too but I can't do everything. As Mick Jagger says and I quote "you can't always get what you want". Instead I got what I needed money and I was spared from watching the Mets lose two more games to the Rockies who went on to sweep the four game series.

As for the Yankee game, the Orioles were looking for the split in the shortened two game series. They started well as they led 5-0 midway through the game. The Yankees chipped away to get within one 5-4 going to the bottom of the ninth inning when the Orioles called on relief pitcher Kevin Gregg to pitch. Jorge Posada hit his very first pitch into the right field bullpen to tie the game. The game went into extra innings. Mariano shut the Orioles down in the top of the tenth. In the bottom half, Nick Swisher delivered the game winning sacrifice fly to win it for the Yankees, 6-5. Needless to say, he had his "pie" and he ate it too. Swish was all fired up and he motioned to the happy people who remained in the stands.

Friday night after work I went back to the Bronx to see the rematch of the 2010 ALCS as the Texas Rangers made their first of two visits to the Stadium on Jackie Robinson Day in major league baseball.
It was the 64th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking barriers as he was the first Black player to play in the Major Leagues. In his honor, all the players wore his number 42.

As for the game that was played, it seemed like October all over again for the Rangers as they went on to win this one, 5-3.

Quite amazingly the Rangers' pitchers got the Yankees to hit into six double play balls.

Stay tuned as I will write a special post that will recap the adventurous weekend we had.

As always, I want to thank all my readers and followers for following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: