Royalty Tours USA

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Royalty w/o 5/16 in review

After work tired and all Monday night I went to Citi Field to see the Mets play the Florida Marlins.
The game was delayed at the start by an hour and twenty minutes due to rain. They finally started at 8:30PM.

As a result, I decided I need to get home at a reasonable time so I left the game after 6 and a half innings which is a rarity. The game was tied at one when I left thanks to Mike Stanton of the Marlins who hit a blast into the batter's eye by the Apple in straight away centerfield in the top of the seventh inning. What a shot it was.

The score stayed the same until the eleventh inning when the Marlins took the lead when an unlikely source delivered which turned out to be the game winning hit as they won, 2-1. Relief pitcher Burke Badenhop took his at bat and came through in a big way with two men on and two out.

I wish I was there to see it but I was so tired I needed to catch up on sleep from our busy weekend in Chicago and Milwaukee.

Tuesday night I was planning to go back to Citi Field but just before I left work I found out the game was postponed. It was odd because it rained throughout the day but it had stopped when I left work and it wound up not raining again the rest of the night.

They could have played as it turned out. I looked at it as a blessing since I was still tired. So I was able to go home and catch up on some much needed rest.

Wednesday night I wound up back at Citi Field despite the fact the weather forecast wasn't that good. The Mets were hosting the Washington Nationals on this night. Ironically they did get the game in somehow even though it rained most of the night. It didn't rain very hard until around the seventh inning. I thought for sure the tarp was going on the field. It didn't, the grounds crew did put lots of drying agent on the infield so they could try and finish the game without a delay and luckily they did.

The Mets beat the Nationals, 3-0. It should be noted that the King and I had some company as our friends Manny Morales and Martin Caamano were there with us braving the elements. We did get to enjoy each other's company so it worked well that we all showed up.

In addition, we were treated as some of the Hooligan's were present singing and adding comic relief as the game and night wore on.

Thursday night I went home after work to relax and to get ready for the Subway Series in the Bronx over the weekend.

Friday night after work I went up to Yankee Stadium for game one of this year's Subway Series between the Mets and the Yankees.

The Mets fell behind in this one early as Mark Teixeira hit a solo home run to give the Yankees an early 1-0 lead. The Mets tied the game as Justin Turner hit a double. Later in the sixth inning, Daniel Murphy hit a solo home run that was the difference as the Mets took game one, 2-1.

There were a number of Met fans sitting around us so it felt more like we were at Citi Field even though we were in the Bronx. Those people went home happy.

Saturday night I was back in the Bronx for game two. This time the Yankees beat the Mets, 7-3.

The Yankees used the long ball as their home runs accounted for all their runs.

Once again there were a lot of Met fans in the building. It was somewhat surprising compared to year's passed when Yankee fans didn't part with their tickets as easily. I guess they need the extra money in case they make another playoff run in October.

Sunday the King and I returned to the Bronx for the rubber match.

The Mets went ahead 3-1 in the second inning after the Yankees took a 1-0 lead thanks to Curtis Granderson who hit a home run in the first inning against Mets starter Mike Pelfrey.

The score remained that way until the bottom of the seventh inning when Mike Pelfrey unraveled. He loaded the bases with Yankees thanks to a hit, a walk and he hit Francisco Cervelli near his head. He proceeded to give up a two run single up the middle to Derek Jeter that tied the game. Pelfrey was done probably a few batters too late. The Met bullpen came on and added fuel to the fire as the Yankees continued their hit parade which helped them score 8 runs to take a 9-3 lead. That's how it ended as the Yankees took two out of three to win the first installment of the 2011 Subway Series.

For us Met fans, it was the same old story. The Yankees weren't playing well coming into the weekend but the Mets always find a way to lose to them.

We'll have to wait until July 1-3 to see the rematch at Citi Field.

I can only plan and arrange the games I and others attend, I don't control the outcomes.

The goal is whenever you decide to take in a ballgame, that you see a good one.

When you're ready to go, please let me know so I can arrange to get you there and back without a hassle.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

2 comments:

Michael L. said...

Ever attend the Kentucky Derby

Gary Herman said...

No, I haven't. I've been there once when nothing was going on a number of years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing one some day.