Royalty Tours USA

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Royalty w/o 8/6 in review

Citi Field - Home of 2013 All-Star Game
Monday night after work I went home to rest up since there were no games in the area for me to go to. It was nice to come home and relax for a change.

Tuesday night after work I went to Citi Field to see the Mets play the Marlins. On my way there, I stopped off at Wendy's and I had a baconator combo meal. It was as good as advertised.

When I got done, I got back on the 7 train and I went to Citi Field. Upon arrival, I was greeted by Sam Citron, the security guard who is a big fan of the King and I. He told me he was being honored by the Mets for being employee of the month for July. I congratulated him for his much deserved honor. As he always says and I quote "it's always a pleasure."

I proceeded to go in and I went up to my seat in section 516 to watch the game. Shortly thereafter, I was greeted by my pal Manny Bonilla who was there. It was nice to see him again. We were joined by the King as well as Ralph and Vincent Ascanio.

In a pre game ceremony, the Mets unveiled the logo for the 2013 Major League Baseball All-Star Game which will be held on July 16th at Citi Field.

As for the game we saw, the Marlins jumped on the Mets as they scored four runs in the fourth inning after matching zeros for the first three innings. In the process, former Met Jose Reyes extended his hitting streak to 25 consecutive games with an infield single. The Mets fought back with a pair of runs in the fifth inning but that's the way it stayed as the Marlins held on to beat the Mets, 4-2.

Wednesday night after work I went to Subway and Carvel for dinner on my way back to Citi Field for game two of the series between the Mets and the Marlins.

This time I didn't get to see Sam at the gate but I did get inside in time to see him honored on the field on the Citi vision screen. It was great to hear his name announced on the public address system as he was greeted by Mets' bench coach Bob Geren.

As for the game we saw, the Mets fell behind right off the bat as Jose Reyes hit a solo home run to extend his hitting streak to 26 games in the first inning. Giancarlo Stanton followed a walk to Carlos Lee with a two run homer to give the Marlins a 3-0 lead. It turned out to be all they would need as they shutout the Mets but they tacked on more and then some as the game wore on. Stanton hit another two run homer as the Marlins pounded Chris Young and the Mets, 13-0.

Thursday night after work I went home since the Mets and Marlins wrapped up their three game series in the afternoon. In the process, Jose Reyes' hitting streak ended as the Mets won to salvage a game after dropping the first two. As for me, I went home to rest and catch up on things around the house.

Friday night after work I returned to Citi Field as the Atlanta Braves came to town to play the Mets.
I stopped off at Taste of Dolly's for my pre game meal this time.

After I ate, the Q48 bus was coming so I took it instead of hopping back on the 7 train for one stop. If I wanted to get some exercise, I could have walked over.

Upon entry to Citi Field, I saw Sam and we exchanged pleasantries. After doing so, I headed inside.
When I got up to my perch in Section 516, I was greeted by our pals Manny Morales, Marc Beck, David Sack, Vincent Ascanio, Bryan Gilligan and Alan Gimpel. It was great to see them all again.

As for the game we saw, Mets rookie pitcher Matt Harvey was making his Citi Field debut after he made his major league debut in Phoenix. He then pitched in San Francisco and San Diego. I was anxious to see him pitch live. After a shaky start, he settled in and he pitched well all things considered. He allowed a two run homer to Jason Heyward in the first inning and that was it. He did struggle with his control as he walked five in the first three innings. He shut the Braves down over the last three innings as he pitched before he departed trailing 2-0 after 6 innings. Unfortunately Paul Maholm who started for the Braves was too dominant on this night as he shut out the Mets giving up just three hits. He went the distance as he beat the Mets, 4-0 spoiling Matt Harvey's home debut.

After the game, Bryan drove the King and I to Donovan's Pub in Woodside where we met up with our friend Frank Anichiarico who joined us for a post game meal.

Saturday during the day I was able to go shopping and I did my laundry before I headed back to Citi Field to see the Mets battle the Braves in game two of the three game set at night. I met up with my Cousin Andy who joined me for the game. I want to personally thank my pal Manny Morales for giving me a ticket for him. That was very kind of him. Needless to say, my Cousin Andy was very grateful for Manny's generosity.
Besides my Cousin Andy, we had more company as our pals Phil Butleman, David Sack, Frank Anichiarico, Ralph and Vincent Ascanio were present and accounted for. Their presence made for a fun night in the stands.

As for the game we saw on the field, that was another story. I was excited because Johan Santana was starting for the Mets. Unfortunately he wasn't long for the night. He gave up a few runs in the first inning then he couldn't finish the second inning as he left trailing 9-0. At that point, the game was already decided. The Mets managed to score some runs but they wound up losing this one, 9-3.

Regardless of the outcome, it was nice to see my Cousin Andy again as well as the rest of the bunch.
Sunday I took it easy during the day as the Mets and the Braves were wrapping their three game series on ESPN Sunday night baseball.

I arranged to meet my pal Mike Carroll who I got a ticket for at Citi Field.

As for the game we saw, it looked like the Mets were going to salvage a game without breaking a sweat. After Mets starter Jonathon Niese pitched great for eight innings, Mets manager Terry Collins decided to take his chances with his bullpen to finish this one. The Mets lead, 6-1 at the time. The Met bullpen did their very best to scare us to death. They held on barely. It took three relievers to put this one away. The last batter Jason Heyward of the Braves struck out and the ball got away. He ran to first and he was called out by a footstep it was that close. That would have tied the game at six. The Mets won, 6-5 the hard way.

With that, another week of sports travel is in the books.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

























No comments: