Royalty Tours USA

Monday, August 4, 2014

Royalty sees the Soundtrack of Summer Tour at Prudential Center!‏

Near the end of March, I got an e-mail from the New Jersey Devils. Since I'm a season ticket holder, they occasionally offer me discounts & presales to upcoming events at the Prudential Center. I usually don't take them up on their offers. It just so happened that they sent me a presale to get tickets to see the Soundtrack of Summer Tour which consisted of Don Felder, former songwriter & guitarist of the Eagles, Styx & one of my favorite rock groups, Foreigner. When I saw they were playing on Thursday, June 26th, I looked at my schedule. I saw that was going to be an off night. I said to myself I want to go. Since I really didn't want to go by myself, I decided to ask my Cousin Andy who's a big music fan if he wanted to join me. He said he would. With that being said, I went ahead & I bought us a pair of tickets in the upper level. Since we both lack the financial resources, we were just happy to get in the building. It was going to be our first concert there.

After waiting a few months, that night finally arrived. After work, I took the Path train out to Newark, NJ. I wound up meeting my Cousin Andy in the Gateway Center which is the walkway attached to Newark Penn Station at 6:40PM. We then walked over to the Prudential Center for the 7PM show. We went inside & we headed upstairs to our seats. When we got up there, we were told that the upper level was going to be closed. With that being said, they gave us an upgrade to cushioned seats in section 17 which was just to right side of the stage. What a great view we had. 

Don Felder
As for the show we saw, the first act was Don Felder who performed some songs with his own band. In addition, he ‎& his band played a good number of Eagles' songs which included Already Gone, One of These Nights, Those Shoes, Witchy Woman, Heartache Tonight, Take It Easy, Life in the Fast Lane as well as the legendary Hotel California. All in all, it was a nice way to start the evening. 

Styx
Secondly, after a short break, we got to hear the band Styx who were popular back in the 70's ‎& into the early 80's. They were lead by guitarist & songwriter Tommy Shaw who wrote some of their classic hits which included Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man, Too Much Time on my Hands, Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) as well as Renegade. They also played some of  their other hits, The Grand Illusion, Lady & Come Sail Away. Andy & I recognized many of their songs which made for an awesome time. 

Foreigner
Last but certainly not least, we got to see Foreigner close out the show. I saw them back in the day at Madison Square Garden in 1987. In addition, I got to see them again last year at Citi Field after a Met game. As they say, three times is a charm. That saying held true on this night when I got to see them again. Having seen them last year, I had a good idea of what to expect. 

They started the set with Double Vision, they continued rocking with many of their signature songs which included Juke Box Hero, Feels Like The First Time, Head Games, Cold As Ice, Urgent, Say You Will, I Want To Know What Love Is‎ & Hot Blooded. In addition, we were also treated to a guitar solo by founding member, Mick Jones who has been experiencing health issues lately. 

Overall we got our money's worth ‎& then some. We both had a blast reliving the good old days. These performers are getting old but they still put on a neat show. I'm glad we got to see it. My Cousin couldn't thank me enough for getting him the ticket. As I say, teamwork makes the dream work.

Stay tuned for some special posts that will recap the way I spent the last weekend in June.

Thank you for reading ‎& following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: